Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Elite (Selection #2) by Kiera Cass #Bookreview

The Elite (The Selection #2)Title: The Elite
Series: The Selection #2
Author:  Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published Date: April 23rd 2013
Genre: YA, Romance, Dystopian
Format: Audiobook
Audio Time: 7 hr 42 min

My Rating: ★ ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 
The selection began with 35 girls. Now, with the group narrowed down to the Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's love is fiercer than ever. The closer America gets to the crown, the more she struggles to figure out where her heart truly lies. Each moment she spends with Maxon is like a fairy tale, filled with breathless, glittering romance. But whenever she sees her first love, Aspen, standing guard, she's swept up in longing for the life they'd planned to share.

America is desperate for more time. But while she's torn between her two futures, the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.
 

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:

“I pranced around the room like a blind moose, but what I lacked in grace I made up for in effort.”   

This is the second book in the selection series, sadly I read The Selection before I started blogging so I don't have my opinions of that one on here. (maybe I should do a re-read soon?)


America is still fighting for Maxon's affection, as well as dealing with her feelings for Aspen. I would have to say in the romance/feeling department this one is way more complicated. Not only do we know all of the characters more, we also start to see what the consequences her choices could cause.

As for her relationship with most of the other girls, it's non-existent except for one. That friendship is one that we see her being willing to fight for and protect at all costs even if it makes her own place in the competition disappear.

“You know that you’ve found something amazing, and you want to hold on to it forever; and every second after you have it, you fear the moment you might lose it.”

While entertaining this story, is also getting very repetitive when it comes to America stringing along Maxon and Aspen. Every time she almost makes a decision she suddenly changes her mind after talking to one of them and were back to square one. I personally would just wish she would choose and stop flip flopping (I'm probably frustrated with this part as well because we all know who she will end up with).

I would also love to see more of what the other people think and her to actually interact with someone besides Maxon, Aspen and her maids. If she is going to possibly be Queen she's going to start to have to care about others, and actually get out there and take charge for a change.

Overall I do enjoy these books because of how easy they are to read. Yes, there are things going on in the background when it comes to war etc, but we never really get to see any of that. I do think this will play a bigger part in the next book, or at least I'd like it to be, I don't know how much more I can take of it just being her going back and forth between the guys and her hating some of the other contestants.

“I don't know if I'm supposed to be holding on or letting go. I don't want to give up, but if there's nothing for me to hope for, then tell me.”   

See my reviews for previous Selection series novels/novellas
The Queen (Selection #0.4)
The Prince (Selection #0.5)


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....