Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Everything Leads to You by Nina Lacour | Book Review

Everything Leads to You by Nina Lacour #bookreview #lgbtqia #f/f #romance #lesbianromance #lesbian #contemporary #ya #libraryread #2018readsTitle: Everything Leads to You
Author: Nina Lacour
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Published Date: May 15th, 2014
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, LGBTQIA, YA
Page Count:312
Format: Hardcover

My Rating: ★ ★ ★.5

Goodreads Summary: 
A love letter to the craft and romance of film and fate in front of—and behind—the camera from the award-winning author of Hold Still.

A wunderkind young set designer, Emi has already started to find her way in the competitive Hollywood film world.

Emi is a film buff and a true romantic, but her real-life relationships are a mess. She has desperately gone back to the same girl too many times to mention. But then a mysterious letter from a silver screen legend leads Emi to Ava. Ava is unlike anyone Emi has ever met. She has a tumultuous, not-so-glamorous past, and lives an unconventional life. She’s enigmatic…. She’s beautiful. And she is about to expand Emi’s understanding of family, acceptance, and true romance.


 ---------------------------------------------------------------------


 My Review:


“Because in the conversation beneath this one, what we're really saying is I am an imperfect person. Here are my failures. Do you want me anyway?”

Last year during Blogmas I read We Are Okay by Nina Lacour and really enjoyed it. Which encouraged me to finally pick up Everything Leads to You which had been on my Goodreads tbr since 2015 and has been one that has been really hyped up for me since I first heard about it.


Emi is our main character who is a recent high school graduate who is working as a set designer intern for a movie before she goes to college in the fall. Emi is not only a huge film buff and loves to analyze every movie she watches to try and find set details, but she is also a romantic who has dating drama in her current life. 
Everything is shaping up to be a pretty normal summer, until Emi and her best friend find a letter from a famous person to someone else that leads the two friends on a journey of a lifetime to find the famous persons last wish. 

I ended up really enjoying this book. Emi was a really likable character who I wanted to find happiness and continue to love what she was doing. All of the side characters I actually ended up loving as well, which isn't something that happens that often for me especially when it comes to contemporary books. 
The set designing that Emi was doing was absolutely fascinating to me. I loved how much detail was put into not only explaining what she was doing but also how she came up with it all and her thought process behind it. 
As for the mystery person that Emi ends up finding I really liked her. She was truly someone who could do great things in life, with just a little help from others and I loved that about her. 
The one character I wish we had gotten to see more of was Emi's best friend. They had a really strong and established friendship, but it seems like they hardly ever spent any time together for it being their last real summer together before everything changes. I just wish we had gotten a little bit more of that. I do want to try another one of Lacours books that have not been super hyped up for
Overall I did enjoy this book, but it was also lacking something for me again, just like We Are Okay did. I'm going to read one more of Lacour's books (hopefully one less hyped) before I make a strong opinion on if I really like Lacour's writing or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....