Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday (#6): Ten Fairytale Retellings I've Read/Want To Read

 

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. This week, the theme is Ten Fairytale Retellings I've Read/Want To Read.

 

Before I start this I feel like I should mention that I've never been a big fairytale person. In fact I've never watched most of the princess movies, because I just wasn't interested in them. But recently I have been wanting to read some fairy tales and see why everyone loves them so much. So without further ado here are the Fairytale retellings I want to read.






Cinder by Marissa Meyer

"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl."
 
 
 
 
 
 Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
"But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling."
 
 
A Court of Throns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
 
 "When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world."

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

"Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead. "
 
Spelled by Betsy Schow 

 
"Yeah, no thanks. Dorthea is completely princed out. Sure being the crown princess of Emerald has its perks—like Glenda Original ball gowns and Hans Christian Louboutin heels. But a forced marriage to the brooding prince Kato is so not what Dorthea had in mind for her enchanted future."


A Whole New World by Liz Braswell

"When Jafar steals the Genie’s lamp, he uses his first two wishes to become sultan and the most powerful sorcerer in the world. Agrabah lives in fear, waiting for his third and final wish.To stop the power-mad ruler, Aladdin and the deposed Princess Jasmine must unite the people of Agrabah in rebellion. But soon their fight for freedom threatens to tear the kingdom apart in a costly civil war."

 
Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas

"Pin has no recollection of who she is or how she got to the Godmother’s fortress. She only knows that she is a Seamstress, working day in and out to make ball gowns fit for fairy tales. But she longs to forsake her backbreaking servitude and dares to escape with the brave young Shoemaker."
 
 
 
 
 A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston

"Lo-Melkhiin killed three hundred girls before he came to her village, looking for a wife. When she sees the dust cloud on the horizon, she knows he has arrived. She knows he will want the loveliest girl: her sister. She vows she will not let her be next."






The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh 
"Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi's wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend."

I was only able to find 9 fairytale retellings that interested me. If you have any suggestions for ones that you think I would like, or if you would like to do a buddy read for any that I mentioned please tell me in the comments. Also please tell me your fairytale retellings that you've enjoyed or would like to read as well. 


2 comments:

  1. I had never heard about A Whole New World, but it sounds amazing! I put a lot of the same books on my list. I love Cinder and A Court of Thorns and Roses,you should give them a chance, they are really good books. Great post! I will add a few of this to my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A whole new world is one I'm really looking forward to reading. I have Cinder from the Library and I'm hoping to read it this month. I'll add A Court of Thorns and Roses to my list of to read soon!

      Delete

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....