Monday, January 9, 2017

Blackhearts (Blackhearts #1) by Nicole Castroman #BookReview

Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)Title: Blackhearts

Series:Blackhearts #1

Author: Nicole Castroman
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published Date: February 9th 2016
Genre: Adventure, Historical Fiction, YA
Page Count:384
Format: Hardcover

My Rating: ★ ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 

Blackbeard the pirate was known for striking fear in the hearts of the bravest of sailors. But once he was just a young man who dreamed of leaving his rigid life behind to chase adventure in faraway lands. Nothing could stop him—until he met the one girl who would change everything.

Edward "Teach" Drummond, son of one of Bristol's richest merchants, has just returned from a year-long journey on the high seas to find his life in shambles. Betrothed to a girl he doesn’t love and sick of the high society he was born into, Teach dreams only of returning to the vast ocean he’d begun to call home. There's just one problem: convincing his father to let him leave and never come back.

Following her parents' deaths, Anne Barrett is left penniless and soon to be homeless. Though she’s barely worked a day in her life, Anne is forced to take a job as a maid in the home of Master Drummond. Lonely days stretch into weeks, and Anne longs for escape. How will she ever realize her dream of sailing to CuraƧao—where her mother was born—when she's stuck in England?

From the moment Teach and Anne meet, they set the world ablaze. Drawn to each other, they’re trapped by society and their own circumstances. Faced with an impossible choice, they must decide to chase their dreams and go, or follow their hearts and stay.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:
"I've seen some rather questionable characters who claim to be educated and well-bred act far more maliciously than any pirate. Nobles claim that the poor and uneducated cannot govern themselves, yet I've witnessed destitute men do just that, obeying their own laws like a priest obeys the word of God"
This is told in two perspectives first we have Anne Barret who is a house maid who used to live a somewhat luxurious life.
Then we also have Edwards 'Teach' Drummond who is Master Drummonds son who has just gotten back from a year at sea.

Anne and Teach seem like an unlikely pair, but as they both spend more time together and get to know one another they start to grow in like with each other. There is one big problem though. Teach is to be married and he can't seem to get out of it no matter how hard he tries. That is until Anne overhears something that will change Teachs life for the better. But what she overhears also has bad consequences that lead to one of Anne's own secrets being told. One that not only changes her life, but Teachs as well and makes them become separated.
"I believe if you truly love someone, then the most important thing should be their happiness, not yours."
"And I believe if you truly love someone, you let that person know you will always be there for them, no matter the circumstances." 
Overall I did enjoy this story.  It does focus more on the love in this book instead of on a certain pirate. But I have a feeling the next book will be more about the pirates and things like that. Where as this one was more so what could have caused him to become a pirate and to what extent people will go to for the ones they love. Surprisingly enough as well I actually liked Teach and Anne together. Sure the way they got together wasn't the best considering certain things, but you could also tell that they should be together. They make a good couple and actually care about each other which isn't something that was easy to find back then. Castroman did a wonderful job of making me become invested in the story and I can't wait to read the next book to see what happens to Anne and Teach next.


2 comments:

  1. I read a review before I read it that said it wasn't too pirate-focused so I expected the slower and more romantic focus of the plot. I think I would have been really disappointed if I expected a straight pirate novel.

    The sequel is one of my most anticipated reads this year. It got announced maybe 3 weeks after I finished this one; so I was really disappointed that we would never get a conclusion to this story because I thought it was a standalone...phew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that's why so many people have mixed feelings on this book.
      Same here I need to know what happens next! I can't imagine this one being a stand alone the unanswered questions at the end would drive me crazy slowly.

      Delete

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....