Sunday, December 18, 2016

Saving Red by Sonya Sones #BookReview #Blogmas2k16

Saving RedTitle: Saving Red
Author: Sonya Sones
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published Date: October 18th 2016
Genre: YA, Realistic Fiction, Poetry, Mental Illness
Page Count: 448
Format: Hardcover

My Rating: ★ ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 
My name is Molly. This book is about me.

I’m probably the guiltiest person who ever lived. But I’m not ready to talk about that yet. I may never be ready…

This book is about Pixel too, my almost human dog. And about Cristo, my possible future boyfriend.

Mostly, though, it’s about Red, the homeless girl I met in the part one night. She’s a few years older than me—reckless and wild and more fun than anyone.

But if Red’s survived on the streets these last few months, it’s only been ‘cause of dumb luck. And that luck might run out any second now.

That’s why I’ve made it my mission to get her back to her family. Though it’s hard to save someone when they don’t really want to be saved…


 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:
"Have you ever done something
so stupid, so selfish,
so just plain wrong,
that you wish you could turn back the clock
return to the scene of the crime, and
somehow keep yourself from committing it?"
Molly is out one night trying to get the last of her community service hours done when she see's a young woman only a few years older than she is. While she did have to leave that woman their that night, she decides to go back and leave things for her, and that is where the whole story really starts. From then on Molly tries to help Red, and Red takes Molly on a journey of her own. This whole experience for Molly is one that she will never forget for multiple reasons.
Along with this we also have Molly's parents, one is a workaholic and one has become a pot head. (not my words Molly's.) Because of this Molly is able to be absent almost all of the time while she is trying to help Red out with very little actual happy times with her parents.

Overall I thought this story was really sweet. Molly just wants to try and right the wrong she did to someone else she cared about in her life. Someone that she feels responsible for, and blames herself everyday. So with Red she feels like she can not only help her, but make someone else's family happy and together again. At times I found Molly at times a little bit annoying, but I think that has to do a little bit with her age and the fact that she is constantly blaming herself for something that she shouldn't have been responsible for in the first place. Molly also of course meets a guy and they fall hard for each other, but this is never the main focus of the story.
As for the writing I found it really easy to read and the characters really worked well together.

"Maybe I can't glue my messed-up family
back together again.
But if it's the last thing I do,
I'll figure out a way
to reunite Red
with hers." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....