Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Broken Pearl by Dawn Brower: #BookReview #Blogmas2k16

Broken PearlTitle: Broken Pearl
Author:  Dawn Brower
Publisher: Three Worlds Press
Published Date: April 16th 2015
Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance
Page Count: 228
Format: Paperback

My Rating: ★ ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 
The death and destruction of war can destroy even the strongest among us. Will the loss and pain be too much for Rebecca to withstand?

The year is 1941 and paradise is a way of life in Hawaii. For Rebecca O'Shea things couldn’t be more perfect. She has her dream career as a naval nurse, and is in love with the man of her dreams—it seems she has it all.
An empathic gift she's had all her life starts to grow, showering her with emotions and premonitions that suggest a great darkness is near. Just when she thinks she cannot take anymore her guardian, Joel, arrives to help her.
Rebecca's life is thrown into chaos when war hits Hawaii's shore. As the Japanese bomb her home, her gift explodes within her. Loss and pain become her new way of life. She abandons all hope and shuts down her empathic abilities. With bodies littering the hospitals and seas, her calling as a nurse is put to good use, but her heart remains unreachable. Can she find her way out of the blackness and accept her true fate? Or will the prevailing death and destruction of war consume her?


 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:
"Hope is a powerful thing. We need to hold on to it and make sure it spreads. If not, well, I hate to see what becomes of this world."



Rebecca is a nurse in Hawaii who lives with several other nurses and is in love with David and want's to start a life with him. But everything starts changing for Rebecca when she gets quarantined with two soldiers who have influenza. Except something isn't exactly right with one of the men and his recovery. Which is when we meet Joel. Joel and Rebecca seem to have some sort of connection, yet Rebecca doesn't want to act on it because she loves David.

"Of course I can handle it. I worked myself into exhaustion for a week after the bombing. I can handle anything. Besides, work gives me an outlet. It's something I understand and can do instinctively." 

Everyone's life though changes and connects more closely once pearl harbor happens. Rebecca has to learn how to deal with something she really didn't know she had and Joel has to figure out a way to help her all while staying out of her way. It's a difficult balance for Rebecca and Joel and it's one that takes them awhile to get right and even then it doesn't last long.

"You should be scared. War just arrived at our shores. This is very real, and you need to wake up and start doing your job."

Going into this book I wasn't really sure what to expect. I figured it was going to have more romance and it was about average for most books I've read recently when it came to the romance. This book honestly was more focused on emotions and controlling them I guess. Overall though I did enjoy this book. I did figure out most of what the mystery part of this story when it came to Joel. I also knew that Rebecca and Joel were going to end up together and that most likely that Rebecca was going to become like Joel in some sense. Wasn't really expecting that ending though, I was happy with it.  If I hadn't of won this book in a Goodreads giveaway I probably wouldn't have picked it up. But I am so glad that I did.

"Thank you. For making me see there are blessings in my life even through all the bad things. Sometimes you need someone to point them out to you for you to realize good does still come when you need it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....