Monday, July 20, 2015

The Sound by Sarah Alderson

Title: The Sound
Author: Sarah Alderson
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published Date: May 13th 2014
Genre: YA, New Adult, Mystery, Romance
Page Count: 320
Format: Kindle

My Rating: ★ ★ .5

Goodreads Summary:
A British nanny looking for a low-key summer finds buried secrets, murderous attention, and unexpected romance when she visits the Nantucket Sound.

The Nantucket Sound is a beachfront playground for the privileged and elite, where the sunny days are filled with scenic bike rides, backyard picnics, and bonfire parties.

But all Ren Kingston - a visiting Brit still reeling from heartbreak - really wants is a quiet summer as a nanny for one of Nantucket's wealthy families. Getting acquainted with handsome Jeremy and his young group of trust fund, private school kids was not part of the plan. Neither was befriending the local bad boy whose reputation is more dangerous than charming.

After a dead body is found next to The Sound's postcard-perfect view, Ren starts to wonder where the real threat lies. Because it's becoming clear that her newfound 'friends' are much more than they seem. They're hiding secrets. Secrets that Ren wants no part of.

But once The Sound has you in its current, it won't want to let you go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Review:

"You Should take people as they are. Stop labeling them. You should get to know people before you start judging them. Get to know me before you decide whether you like me or not."


 Going into this book I was expecting a mystery and a little bit of romance. Instead, it ended up being the other way around. While I'm not saying this made the book horrible. It was quite enjoyable just not what I was expecting.

I really wanted to like Ren and I did at first, but as the story went on and she became more of a cliche (even though she kept stating that she wouldn't become one) I just couldn't like her as much. I mean come on her main worry was that she thought her thighs were fat, but yet two foreign nannies had been killed a year apart and no one has any idea who the killer could be. But yet all she was worried about was finally losing her virginity to the "right one". Not to mention I thought she was a bit of an idiot when she kept sneaking around with the one person that everyone told her was violent and to stay away from.

As for the two love interests Jeremy and Jesse. I knew which one she would end up with halfway through the book. You could tell that while she did like Jeremy it was nothing compared to her feelings towards Jesse. Plus Jesse had the whole mysterious bad boy thing going for him and Jeremy had jerks as friends that made Ren not feel very welcome or comfortable. Plus he turned out to be a horrible person.

The ending of the book is what saved it for me. I never would have guessed that that was the killer. The person was hardly ever in the story and if they were they never said more than more, then two words to Ren and never seemed interested in her. The way Ren ended up acting though and finally taking action towards the killer made me like her again, and showed that she wasn't as dumb as she had been appearing to be for most of the book.

I could have done without her constantly fantasizing about sleeping with Jesse though.

I really wish that this book would have been advertised more as a Romance then a mystery. Maybe I would have ended up liking it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....