Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Year We Fell Down by Sarina Bowen | Book Review

The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years, #1) by Sarina Bowen #bookreview #newadult #college #paralyzed #disability #wheelchair #romance #contemporaryTitle: The Year We Fell Down
Series: The Ivy Years
Author: Sarina Bowen
Publisher: Rennie Road Books 
Published Date: March 20th, 2014
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Page Count:270
Format: Kindle

My Rating: ★ ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 
The sport she loves is out of reach. The boy she loves has someone else. What now?

She expected to start Harkness College as a varsity ice hockey player. But a serious accident means that Corey Callahan will start school in a wheelchair instead.

Across the hall, in the other handicapped-accessible dorm room, lives the too-delicious-to-be real Adam Hartley, another would-be hockey star with his leg broken in two places. He's way out of Corey's league.

Also, he's taken.

Nevertheless, an unlikely alliance blooms between Corey and Hartley in the "gimp ghetto" of McHerrin Hall. Over tequila, perilously balanced dining hall trays, and video games, the two cope with disappointments that nobody else understands.

They're just friends, of course, until one night when things fall apart. Or fall together. All Corey knows is that she's falling. Hard.

But will Hartley set aside his trophy girl to love someone as broken as Corey? If he won't, she will need to find the courage to make a life for herself at Harkness -- one which does not revolve around the sport she can no longer play, or the brown-eyed boy who's afraid to love her back.
 

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:

“There’s no more perfect, Callahan. Now there’s only really damned good.”

We all know I struggle to like new adult books, and were probably getting to the point now where you're all wondering why I keep trying them? That would be because I'm extremely stubborn and I am determined to find a good new adult. This one is getting there everyone.



The Year We Fell Down follows two different characters Corey Callahan and Adam Hartley we get to see things from both of there perspectives throughout the year. Corey has recently become paralyzed due to an accident that happened 6 months before college started. Because of this accident, she is now in a wheelchair and is learning to navigate life in a wheelchair and the struggles that come with that physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Adam is injured currently and because of that is using crutches and massively struggling with getting around.

Overall I did find myself enjoying this book. I know let's all take a minute because who knows when I'll be able to say that about a new adult book again. Okay now, why did I enjoy this book? I'm a person who uses a wheelchair and always has, and seeing someone in a wheelchair in books isn't that common especially in romance type of books.
I loved how hardheaded and determined Corey was to find things that would work and modify things to still be able to have a college experience that was similar to her peers. I liked how supportive the people she was meeting with and dealing with on a regular basis. Yes everyone had that moment of hesitation but that's real life for those of us in wheelchairs because no one really knows how to act or say at first. I also liked how it was shown Corey always having to think ahead about every little thing and how exhausting it truly was, and yes people offered to help, but that's not something you can always rely on especially when partying is involved.

“Everybody has their shit to shovel, Callahan. Everybody.” He gave my hand a squeeze, and then took his back. “Now, yours is right up front where everybody can see it. I don’t envy you that. But everybody has some, whether you can see it or not.”

Hartley was a character that I did like for the most part as well. He was always there for Corey which was nice in a way especially as he healed up and was able to be mobile again on his own without any assistance. I really appreciated the little things he did for Corey and how he didn't treat her any differently than his others friends when it came to certain things.

Now those were the things I liked about this book. I did have a few issues with this book though as well. I didn't like how pushy Adam was about certain things when it came to sex and Corey becoming comfortable with her sexuality. He was pushy about it and instead of just letting Corey figure certain things out on her he almost in a way pushed for things to happen that night. I also didn't like how he was cheating with Corey on his girlfriend (yes it was a terrible relationship but that's not an excuse for cheating).

While I'm not sure if I'll continue on with this series or not as it doesn't follow Corey and Hartley I did really enjoy it.


"Suddenly, living my new life seemed more important than mourning my old one."

If you have any other recommendations for books that have a protagonist in a wheelchair or with a disability of any kind please let me know about them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....