Monday, April 23, 2018

Going Places by Kathryn Berla #bookreview

Going PlacesTitle: Going Places
Author:  Kathryn Berla
Publisher: Amberjack Publishing
Published Date: March 20th 2018
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Contemporary,
Page Count:275
Format: Paperback

My Rating: ★ ★ ★.5

Goodreads Summary: 
Hudson Wheeler is a teen for whom everyone had high expectations, but since his father was killed when he was ten, he's felt unmotivated to pursue much other than his art. During his senior year, he decides to home school, thinking he will get to relax and focus on his two lazy businesses. But instead, he experiences love and rejection for the first time; meets an athletic girl who shows him by example what it means to be a man; and solves the painful mystery of the WWII vet whose poignant plight forces Hudson out of the comfort zone of boyhood.   

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:
I originally got an e-arc from NetGalley, but I ended up reading a copy from the library. 

I got to read a little excerpt of this from bookishfirst, but I was a little unsure if I wanted to read it. As someone who was homeschooled, a lot of books don't really do it justice in my opinion. While this one doesn't really talk about the homeschooling part of Hudson's year, it does mention how much work he does have to do (which is true) and how things can be changed for your interests as long as they follow certain guidelines. For me, it was nice to see that in a book, as well as Hudson still having a social life, and being able to do things. (This was in part because of him still being able to take a couple classes at his high school.) 


I also liked how we saw Hudson grow and change throughout this book. He is quite the entrepreneur and I really liked that. He has a dog walking business and another business that helps the older generation. This is something that I really loved seeing because a lot of young people are afraid of old people for some reason. So it was really nice to see him not be afraid of them, and actually trying to help them with things. He was never short on patience with them and was just truly caring. There were a few times that I was like no Hudson you have to go and see what that is even though it's late, but he did do very well in my opinion for the situation he was in. 
I loved his friend Fritzy, and she was just so good in my opinion with putting him in his place, and just generally helping him become a better person. 
I could have done without a certain character and just didn't really care for what she brought to Hudson's life after awhile. 

Overall I really liked this book and enjoyed reading it. It was a quick read, and it did deal with several different topics that we're all handled really well in my opinion. I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a quick read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....