Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Down the TBR Hole #31 #bookmeme


Down the TBR Hole was created by Lia from LOSTINASTORY.
This weekly meme is to help you get your tbr down to a more manageable number, by going through 10 books from your shelves and deciding if you will really read the book or not, and getting rid of the ones you no longer want to read.
The past 30 weeks I've gone through 10 books off my Goodreads TBR and gotten rid of a lot this way. But it's still taking forever (we're still in the 2015 section of my TBR). Because of this for the next two weeks, I'm going to be trying several different methods. The first method is by going through and finding 10 books I want to get rid of, and show them here and talk a little bit more about why I'm getting rid of them.

Currently, I have 2,736 books on my TBR (Yikes!)





The Oasis: A Memoir of Love and Survival in a Concentration Camp
 Even though this one sounds interesting.My library doesn't have it, and I don't see myself buying it sadly. If I can find this book at my library one day though, I would love to read it still. But for now, it's going sadly.

Status: Going

City of Women by David R. Hillham
This one shows Germany during WWII from the women's perspective. Sadly after reading some of the reviews for this one, I learned that it had a lot of graphic sex scenes. While this is perfectly fine, it's just something I personally don't care to read. If you know of any other books that show Germany during this time without the sex, please let me know.

Status: Going

The Sea of Tranquility
While this sounds like a good revenge-ish story. I also know that at this point I'm probably not going to read this one, especially as it has abuse apparently and I'm just not wanting to read that right now.

Status: Going

Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren
England during the 1900's should be something I love. But after looking into this one some more, it seems to be a little heavy on the romance part. While I don't mind some romance, this one seems to be all about the romance. I could add this back at a later time, but for now its...

Status: Going

Persuasion by Jane Austen
I know, I know. I should read more classics. But I promise I have tried to read a Jane Austen book before. Her writing style just isn't for me. Maybe in the future, I will enjoy it. For now,  I don't want to force myself to read a book and hate it the whole time. I already do enough of that in school half the time.

Status: Going

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
This one was added because of all the hype around it. After hearing what my online friends say about it, and reading other reviews. I don't think this one is for me. I tend to not like this type of mystery/thriller and I was going to try and force myself to read it, but I don't see the point in that anymore personally.

Status: Going

Russian Roulette by Mike Faricy
This sounds like a Jame's Bond-ish type of novel. While I haven't read any of the James Bond series and I've only watched one of the movies. I don't think this is something I would like to read.

Status: Going

The Secret of Magic by Deborah Johnson
This one does sound very interesting. 1946 NYC and a woman has to try and find a killer for a black war hero. My library doesn't have this one either sadly and right now if my library doesn't have it, I'm probably not going to read it. I do want to read this at some point later in life.

Status: Going

Iron King by Julie Kagawa
I added this one for several reasons. 1. After reading the Mortal Instruments series and seeing the Fey in that book got me curious to read other books. 2. This one had a lot of hype a few years ago. Recently I'm not into reading about this and I already have a series that I want to finish instead of starting this one.

Status: Going.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
A dystopian novel that declares Love is a disease. Could have been interesting, but right now I'm out of dystopian. I do want to read some of Oliver's other books though.

Status: Going

Those were the ten books I got rid of after going through just two pages! That's crazy to me, but I am starting to be brutal. I'm also now down to 2,726 on my Goodreads TBR! Next week we try a different method of going through books that will be a little bit more difficult possibly.
How did you like this version of Down the TBR Hole?

2 comments:

  1. You made some good decisions here ;)
    I know what you mean about Jane Austen's work. I actually really enjoyed Northanger Abbey--it had a very different vibe to it.

    As for your new method: did you feel more productive doing it this way? Or perhaps more critical? I was thinking of doing it this way myself (having a set number to go each month) as I only go through 10 a month but I'm not sure if it would be better or worse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I found myself being far more critical. I think this was because I didn't want to go through a lot of pages. So I made myself stick to just 3 (ten books to choose from on each pg) and I had to choose between those pages what to get rid of. This made it much harder, but it also felt really productive and like I was finally starting to accomplish something.

      Delete

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....