Monday, March 19, 2018

Liberty by Andrea Portes #bookreview #minireview

Liberty: The Spy Who (Kind of) Liked MeTitle: Liberty The Spy Who (kind of) Liked Me
Author: Andrea Portes
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published Date: June 6th 2017
Genre: Contemporary, Mystery, Funny
Page Count:400
Format: Hardcover

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 
What is a hero? Paige Nolan knows.

Sean Raynes, the young man who exposed America’s unconstitutional spying techniques, is a hero, even if half the dum-dums in the country think he’s a traitor. And her journalist parents, who were captured by terrorists while telling stories of the endangered and oppressed—they were heroes, too. Or are—no one has ever told Paige if they’re still alive, or dead.

Not heroes? Anyone in the government who abandoned her parents, letting them rot somewhere halfway across the world.

And certainly not Paige herself, who, despite her fluency in five languages and mastery of several obscure martial arts (thanks, Mom!), could do nothing to save them.

Couldn’t, that is, until she’s approached by Madden Carter, an undercover operative who gives her a mission: fly to Russia, find Raynes, and discover what other government secrets he’s stockpiled. In exchange, he’ll reopen the case on her missing parents.

She’s given a code name and a cover as a foreign exchange student.

Who is a hero? Not Paige Nolan, but maybe, just maybe, Liberty is.


 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:

This is a book I wish I could go back and read again for the first time. It's not your conventional spy book by any means. Paige is probably one of the worst spies I've ever read about, I mean honestly, how was she not found out multiple times? She made so many things extremely obvious, but I loved her because of that. She isn't one of these characters who instantly knows what to do, in fact, she's like a lot of people would be if they were forced into this role.
That's what made me love this book so much though, yes it's extremely far-fetched and completely unrealistic, but it was such a fun read! I don't know about you, but I need more of these in my life right now.

Paige a.k.a Liberty is sent to a foreign country to try and discover the secrets a person has stockpiled. Sounds easy enough.. guess what it's not its extremely complicated and makes multiple lines become blurred. Paige struggles to fit in and has no idea who to trust and with very little help from the person who sent her there at times, it feels like she is a sitting duck on the verge of getting caught. I did really enjoy the friendships she made during this time though, even if they were a little stressful at times while reading because of the unknown if they could be trusted or not.

(I will say one relationship made me uncomfortable for obvious reasons.)

Overall if you're looking for a fun book, that's fast-paced that deals with spies, this is the book for you!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go and read another one of Portes novels and hope it gives me just as many laughs as this one did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....