Friday, January 5, 2018

Night (Night #1) by Elie Wiesel

Night (The Night Trilogy #1)Title: Night
Series: Night Trilogy #1
Author: Elie Wiesel
Translator:  Marion Wiesel
Publisher: Hill and Wang
Published Date: January 16th, 2006
Genre: History, Memoir, Nonfiction, Classic
Page Count: 120
Format: Paperback

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 
Night is Elie Wiesel's masterpiece, a candid, horrific, and deeply poignant autobiographical account of his survival as a teenager in the Nazi death camps. This new translation by Marion Wiesel, Elie's wife, and frequent translator presents this seminal memoir in the language and spirit truest to the author's original intent. And in a substantive new preface, Elie reflects on the enduring importance of Night and his lifelong, passionate dedication to ensuring that the world never forgets man's capacity for inhumanity to man.

Night offers much more than a litany of the daily terrors, everyday perversions, and rampant sadism at Auschwitz and Buchenwald; it also eloquently addresses many of the philosophical as well as personal questions implicit in any serious consideration of what the Holocaust was, what it meant, and what its legacy is and will be.


 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:


“An SS came towards us wielding a club. He commanded: “Men to the left! Women to the right!” Eight words spoken quietly, indifferently, without emotion. Eight simple, short words. Yet that was the moment when I left my mother.”

This isn't an easy book to read. It's one that will make you feel multiple different things and Wiesel is able to really get across the fear that they were all feeling while being herded into the camps. I honestly don't know how to express how deeply this book affects me every time I read it. Like many other books that discuss the holocaust and peoples own experiences during that dark time in history, they bring so many feelings out of you that most other books can't. I will always feel like this is a must read for everyone, because once you truly see the consequences of what unchecked fear mongering and hatred can do you, you will know that you have to do everything in your power to stop it from happening again.
 Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed.Never shall I forget that smoke.Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under a silent sky.Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.
Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and tuned my dreams to ashes.Never shall I forget those things, even were I condemned to live as long as God Himself.
Never. 

3 comments:

  1. I had the option of reading this for a school project in high school but opted for a different novel. I've always wanted to read this though because it seems like such a powerful book and I hope to get to it someday in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to read this for high school as well. I don't blame you for choosing another book over it though, sometimes I wish I had had that option so the first time I read it, had been in an non-school setting. I hope you get to it in the near future as well!

      Delete

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....