Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson : #BookReview

The Little MermaidTitle: The Little Mermaid by
Author: Hans Christian Anderson
Publisher: Serial Reader
Published Date: ‎7 April 1837
Genre: Children's, classic, fairy tales
Page Count: 48
Format: ebook

My Rating: ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 

For as long as she can remember, the little mermaid has yearned for her 15th birthday, when she will finally be old enough to explore the world above the waves.




 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:


“At first she was overjoyed that he would be with her, but then she recalled that human people could not live under the water, and he could only visit her father's palace as a dead man.”   


We all know the story of a mermaid who wants more, and one day she see's her chance when she saves a prince. Except she can't keep the prince, nor can she go and be with him, or so she thinks. But then she decides to go to the sea witch who will hopefully help her be able to be human, except she will have to give up much, with little to nothing in return.

“I know what you want. It is very stupid of you, but you shall have your way, and it will bring you to sorrow, my pretty princess. - The sea witch.”   

This was the first time I had ever read the Little Mermaid and I now know why it isn't on a lot of peoples favorite classics. While of course this story is darker than the movie and I expected that, I wasn't expecting the ending that happened. Ariel is such a goodhearted person and just want's to find the man she loves.. Who does not deserve her in any way at all. I mean come on this prince is supposedly so in love with her, but yet the best he can do for her is to let her sleep outside his door on a rug.. really. With those problems and so many other things as well, I just found this book to be rather depressing. I mean not only can she not talk, but she also feels like knives are stabbing her legs whenever she walks, but oh no she doesn't mind it because of how in love she is... really. Just no I can't with this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....