Friday, October 28, 2016

The Star Touched Queen (The Star Touched Queen #1) by Roshani Chokshi : #BookReview

The Star-Touched QueenTitle: The Star Touched Queen
Series: The Star Touched Queen #1
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Published Date: April 26th 2016
Genre: YA,Fantasy, Mythology
Length: 9 hrs and 22 mins
Format: Audiobook

My Rating: ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 
Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you're only seventeen?

Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of Death and Destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father's kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Neither roles are what she expected: As Akaran's queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar's wife, she finds something else entirely: Compassion. Protection. Desire...

But Akaran has its own secrets -- thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust? With the fate of the human and Otherworldly realms hanging in the balance, Maya must unravel an ancient mystery that spans reincarnated lives to save those she loves the most. . .including herself.

A lush and vivid story that is steeped in Indian folklore and mythology. The Star-touched Queen is a novel that no listener will soon forget


 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:


“I will not let us be beings of regret. I know my past. What I want is my future.”   



Maya is a young girl who has been cast out by most of the people around her due to her horoscope and what is says about her. She has no friends, and all of her fathers wives don't care for her. She does have a tutor though and she even sneaks around and listens in on conversations that help her get intel on everyone that will help her out later on.

“Father once said the real language of diplomacy was in the space between words.”   

Amar is her "savior" or so it would seem, but he also just might be her downfall I know that's confusing, but somehow it does all work out. I liked him at certain times, but couldn't stand him at others.

“I am a nightmare to most, and a dream for the broken; who am I?’ and the answer to that is death.” “Correct.” 

Then we have Maya meeting a mythical creature that will either help her or eat her. Yes I'm serious. This creature was rather disgusting sounding at times, but it also had it's moments where I really liked it and wanted it to take the action it wanted to to save Maya in certain situations.


Overall I really liked the folklore aspect of this as well as the mythology. Sadly I listened to it on audiobook which for me made it hard to follow along at times. Because I was listening at times I also felt like I lost out on a lot of the fantasy elements sadly.  I would like to read this in physical form soon so I can clear up a lot of things I'm confused on and actually enjoy it. I did love Maya's character though. She was awesome and would do anything to protect those she loved even if it meant putting herself in grave danger and risking everything. She's a heroine that I couldn't help but feel for and wish she had been treated better by those around her. But it also made her a stronger person, and showed how truly caring she could be. The Romance between Maya and Amar while sweet I just never really liked all that much.

“Trust is won in years. Not words.”   


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....