Friday, October 21, 2016

The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig: Book Review #2016DeAuthC

#The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)Title: The Girl From Everywhere
Series: The Girl From Everywhere #1
Author: Heidi Heilig
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Published Date: February 16th 2016
Genre: Historical Fiction, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Time Travel
Format: Audiobook
Audio Time:10 hours and 9 minutes

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

Goodreads Summary: 
Heidi Heilig's debut teen fantasy sweeps from modern-day New York City, to nineteenth-century Hawaii, to places of myth and legend. Sixteen-year-old Nix has sailed across the globe and through centuries aboard her time-traveling father's ship. But when he gambles with her very existence, it all may be about to end. The Girl from Everywhere, the first of two books, blends fantasy, history, and a modern sensibility. Its witty, fast-paced dialogue, breathless adventure, multicultural cast, and enchanting romance will dazzle readers of Sabaa Tahir, Rae Carson, and Rachel Hartman.

Nix's life began in Honolulu in 1868. Since then she has traveled to mythic Scandinavia, a land from the tales of One Thousand and One Nights, modern-day New York City, and many more places both real and imagined. As long as he has a map, Nix's father can sail his ship, The Temptation, to any place, any time. But now he's uncovered the one map he's always sought—1868 Honolulu, before Nix's mother died in childbirth. Nix's life—her entire existence—is at stake. No one knows what will happen if her father changes the past. It could erase Nix's future, her dreams, her adventures . . . her connection with the charming Persian thief, Kash, who's been part of their crew for two years. If Nix helps her father reunite with the love of his life, it will cost her her own.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:

“The laws of the jungle remind me of the laws of the street. When I came abroad, I had to learn a different set of laws. Everywhere we go there is a different set of laws. Most of them unwritten.”   
I wasn’t really sure what to expect with this book. I knew it was a fantasy with time traveling which immediately had me intrigued. But then I was also worried about the other parts where the mythical elements came in as well as the missing parent. I couldn’t imagine how all three of those things could work well together and make an enjoyable story. I am very glad to say though that Heilig did an amazing job. This is now one of my favorite time traveling books. Heilig was able to make everything fit together so well and explained things throughout the story in just the characters talking to one another. Most of the time I felt like I was right there with the characters seeing it and living it just as they were, that could have more to do with me listening to it on audio-book though. Either way it I loved this book.

“I bit my lip to keep it from trembling; he'd let me go a long time ago. After all, you can only hold one person tight if you're holding on with both hands.”   


Nix is an enjoyable character, sure at times she was slightly out of order when it came to things but she’s young and has a father who hasn’t been the best at being one. She’s grown up on a ship that travels through time and makes the unimaginable, imaginable. Yet it's never enough for her father because he doesn’t have the one he truly loves. This makes Nix feel awful and constantly worried about what will happen to her if he does succeed in his plan to get her mother back. Then we have the rest of the crew members who all have their own stories to tell, but are also extremely protective of Nix and have helped raised her.


“Sometimes a person has to let go of something to take hold of something else.”   


When it comes time though for Nix’s father to have a real shot at what he’s wanted since Nix’s mother died, Nix can’t sabotage it even though it will mean her ruin. She also can’t let the crew who so kindly offer to sabotage it either. She knows it needs to be done, and the love that she has for her father is truly heartwarming.

“Sometimes fate makes choices for us.”   


The ending of this book was so enthralling that I couldn't listen to it fast enough. I was so worried for all of the characters involved in what was happening, and how they were going to get out of this extremely dangerous situation without at least one of them getting injured or possibly dying. As you can tell I got a little attached to these characters. I do think bringing a certain someone back with them is just going to cause a lot of problem and I’m not looking forward to it.

“There are a lot of things that are illegal but not wrong. And probably more that are wrong, and still legal.”   

I’m not exactly sure how this is going to continue on as a series, since it left most of the things all tied up nicely. I have a feeling though it’s going to involve a love triangle and I’m not sure how I feel about that. Mainly because I know who I want Nix to be with, but I can also see why said person wouldn’t be a wise choice. I am interested to see what happens though, now if 2017 could get here a little faster I could know. 




 “When I was young, I learned to expect loss. Every time you slept, something disappeared. Whenever you woke up, someone else was gone. But . . . I also learned that every day, you created everything anew. And whatever you had, you enjoyed as long as it lasted. Spend money when it’s in your pocket.” He took my hand and put the orange in it. “Eat fruit while it’s ripe.” His other hand found my cheek, his thumb brushing the corner of my mouth. “Paradise is a promise no god bothers to keep. There’s only now, and tomorrow nothing will be the same, whether we like it or not.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....