Thursday, July 9, 2015

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

Title: The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend
Series: The Duff #1
Author: Kody Keplinger
Published Date: First Published 2010
Genre: Contemporary, YA, Romance
Page Count: 311
Format: Kindle

My Rating:★ ★ .75

Goodreads Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “Duffy,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Review:

“No matter where you go or what you do to distract yourself, reality catches up with you eventually.”


I did end up watching the movie first and while this did affect my opinion at first, after awhile I started to think of the book and the movie as two completely different things and enjoyed each of them for very different reasons.

For Bianca her finding out she was the DUFF empowered her in a way and was almost her downfall. She grabbed onto it and clung to it for a while, but she also used it as an excuse for doing certain things. While I did like that she owned up to her slut-shaming and how using Wesley for an escape wasn't the right thing to be doing. I disliked the fact that she just dropped her friends and stopped talking to them when it started to get rough in her family life. Especially when it came to things involving her dad.

Wesley was not a like-able character in the beginning. But as Bianca started liking him I did too and I realized that he had his own problems as well and used certain things as a form of escapism to plus he made a pretty good distraction for Bianca as well. He was also a lot smarter then people give him credit for.

As for Toby I never really liked him all that much. I did see the appeal of him for Bianca, but I mostly saw him as the person that she had been crushing on for so long that her feelings on him most likely wouldn't have still been  the same as they were when she first started liking him.

Now I'm not going to lie I hated this book at first due to how Bianca acted in certain situations, how Wesley acted, and how they both escaped their problems. But after awhile I stopped hating it so much and realized that in some messed up way it actually worked and they did end up being better people. I'm also glad that I watched the movie first because I think without it I wouldn't have ever ended up reading this book.


Disclaimer: This book does contain sex and talk of sex but it is not graphic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....