Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson

Title: The Madness Underneath

Series: Shades of London #2
Author: Maureen Johnson
Publisher:  Putnam Juvenile
Published Date: February 26th 2013
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Mystery

Page Count: 290
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: ★ ★ ★
Goodreads Summary:
After her near-fatal run-in with the Jack the Ripper copycat, Rory Deveaux has been living in Bristol under the close watch of her parents. So when her therapist suddenly suggests she return to Wexford, Rory jumps at the chance to get back to her friends. But Rory's brush with the Ripper touched her more than she thought possible: she's become a human terminus, with the power to eliminate ghosts on contact. She soon finds out that the Shades--the city's secret ghost-fighting police--are responsible for her return. The Ripper may be gone, but now there is a string of new inexplicable deaths threatening London. Rory has evidence that the deaths are no coincidence. Something much more sinister is going on, and now she must convince the squad to listen to her before it's too late.
In this follow-up to the Edgar Award-nominated THE NAME OF THE STAR, Maureen Johnson adds another layer of spectacularly gruesome details to the streets of London that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Review: 

“After that, I felt like I had two lives. There was the me I had been before the attack, the one people knew and wanted to relate to. The one people wanted to comfort and fix. And there was another me, a hidden me that no one ever saw. There was a me who had tasted death. That me knew things others people didn't know.”


This book to me was a slight disappointment compared to the first one. While I knew it most likely wasn't going to have a huge ongoing case like the first book did, I guess I was just hoping for more crime fighting. I did love the book it was just a little to all over the place. Things did pull together in the end for the cases but there were still alot of loose strings. Strings that I have a feeling we wont get tied up in the third book.

I really did love though how Rory struggled with everything and didn't just bounce back like alot of protagnist do. It was refreshing to see her have trouble in school and with her relationships after being stabbed.

I will be reading the third book though due to the fact that I love the way Maureen keeps holding my interest in the characters and whats happening in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....