Friday, September 14, 2018

Atomic City Girls by Janet Beard #Bookreview

The Atomic City Girls by Janet Beard #bookreview #historicalfiction #WWII #Hiroshima #atomiccityTitle: Atomic City Girls
Author: Janet Beard
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
Published Date: February 6th, 2018
Genre: Historical Fiction, WWII
Page Count:384
Format: Paperback 

My Rating: ★ ★ ★.5

Goodreads Summary: 
In the bestselling tradition of Hidden Figures and The Wives of Los Alamos, comes a riveting novel of the everyday women who worked on the Manhattan Project during World War II

“What you see here, what you hear here, what you do here, let it stay here.”

In November 1944, eighteen-year-old June Walker boards an unmarked bus, destined for a city that doesn’t officially exist. Oak Ridge, Tennessee has sprung up in a matter of months—a town of trailers and segregated houses, 24-hour cafeterias, and constant security checks. There, June joins hundreds of other young girls operating massive machines whose purpose is never explained. They know they are helping to win the war, but must ask no questions and reveal nothing to outsiders.

The girls spend their evenings socializing and flirting with soldiers, scientists, and workmen at dances and movies, bowling alleys and canteens. June longs to know more about their top-secret assignment and begins an affair with Sam Cantor, the young Jewish physicist from New York who oversees the lab where she works and understands the end goal only too well, while her beautiful roommate Cici is on her own mission: to find a wealthy husband and escape her sharecropper roots. Across town, African-American construction worker Joe Brewer knows nothing of the government’s plans, only that his new job pays enough to make it worth leaving his family behind, at least for now. But a breach in security will intertwine his fate with June’s search for answers.

When the bombing of Hiroshima brings the truth about Oak Ridge into devastating focus, June must confront her ideals about loyalty, patriotism, and war itself.
   

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 My Review:

I won this one in a Goodreads Giveaway

I think by now we can all just know that anything to do with WWII I will read. So when I saw this book I knew I had to read it and soon!

Atomic City Girls follows several different people as they live and work in Tennesse in Atomic City. With June being the one we spend the most time with. We get to see things from Joe Brewer as well and see the segregated side of the city, and the struggles they were facing.



Atomic City was a not so well kept secret to most of the surrounding area. With people going in and out constantly and segregation and only the top military and scientist personal knowing what was happening a lot of mystery and speculation surrounded everyone. With this speculation came high tensions, and hot tempers at times.

Overall I did enjoy this book, but certain things about it I would have liked to know more about. I personally felt like this became more of a romance book then what was actually happening in the city and why it was happening. So many secrets were being kept and while June knew them no one else did that she was close to besides Sam who had some problems. Truthfully I wanted so much more for June and yet I understood why she stayed in the situation she was in as well.

Sam became one of those characters that I wanted to know more about, yet one that I also found myself despising at times. He was such a jerk the more time went on and I just wanted him to leave because of how unhappy he was with what was happening.

I would have loved to see more things from Joe's perspective and I really did favor him as more time went on. I found it fascinating to learn more about a part of history that isn't talked about seeing it alongside something that is talked about a little more.

I want to keep learning more about this time in history so if you have any recommendations for either nonfiction or fiction please tell me them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year! New Blog!

Happy New Year! As you can probably tell from the title of this post I have some news. It's exciting news for Reading With Wrin ....